Review

Fluide vs. Fluid

February 26, 2015

IMG_4951.1

When it comes to foundations, I prefer lightweight, breathable formulas. Today I’m showcasing two of my favorite foundations from high end to drugstore: Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide & Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch.

Both of these foundations, once dried on the skin, have a skin like feel and appearance. Both of these fluid formulas fuse with your skin to give a natural satin-matte finish, provide light to medium coverage, and have great staying power. As someone who is battling dry skin this winter, these foundations have been game changers for me.

PicMonkey Collage654654

Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide
Pros:
1. Twenty-four shades, with undertones provided for each shade.
2. Light weight, almost water-like formula.
3. Humidity proof and sweat proof.
4. Oil free, non-comedogenic.
5. Suitable for all skin types (including sensitive skin).

Cons:
1. This is a bi-phase two part formula which needs to be shaken before each use. Make sure you do this with the cap on, as it can get messy quickly.
2. The foundation leaks out each time the bottle is shaken, and the cap can become gross.
3. $48 for 1 fl oz.

Maybelline Dream Wonder Fluid Touch
Pros:
1. $10 for .67 fl oz.
2. This foundation has a slightly thicker formula than Laura Mercier’s, and provides more coverage with the same lightweight, water-like feel.
3. Doesn’t get messy when shaken before use.

Cons:
1. The applicator (a dropper) is frustrating to use.
2. Small range of shades at only 12 total; undertones not listed.
3. Most suitable for normal skin.

Clearly Laura Mercier comes out on top in this post- but I have to say I do enjoy both equally. The only reason I don’t wear the Maybelline one as much is because their lightest shade available is too dark for me (a common pale girl problem). Once summer rolls around, I’ll be using this just as much as my Laura Mercier one.

Have you tried either of these? Which is your favorite fluid foundation?

• Reply laura mitbrodt February 26, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I should try that Maybelline one, the price is right. I have been using Bare Minerals lately

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:15 am

I do love Bare Minerals!

• Reply Amy February 26, 2015 at 4:24 pm

These both look great! I’ve been wanting to try the Maybelline one, I’ve heard good things about it ♥
    Amy xx

Perfect Imperfections

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:16 am

It’s a really good one!

• Reply Dagmara (@mummyscorner) February 26, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I haven’t tried the Laura Mercier one but I just bought the Maybelline Dream Wonder and I think it’s great, very lightweight formula but still gives a nice coverage :) x

Mummy’s Beauty Corner

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:16 am

The Dream Wonder is one of my all time favorites :)

• Reply nueyork February 26, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Maybelline’s offering really does seem to weigh up and sounds perfect for me! I love lightweight foundations.

nueyork.blogspot.com

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:17 am

It really is a good foundation- my only wish is they had a larger shade range!

• Reply Bash February 26, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I think I prefer the Maybelline one. It offers so much and it seems better for my wallet…hahaha

xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin’

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:20 am

Haha, yes! It is a good foundation, especially for the price!

• Reply celyn February 26, 2015 at 10:48 pm

these look like great products! Always wanted to try Laura Mercier face products!

lifeisashoe

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:32 am

The foundation is so nice. I can’t wait to try out more of their stuff!

• Reply Becky Hines February 26, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Both of these foundations are amazing! Especially for the months that are super drying. Completely unrelated, but have you tried the Boscia exfoliating peel yet? I tried it in Sephora the other day and I was shocked. But, my face is so much better for holding moisture after just one use! Incredible! Great post Jenny, x!

Becky, x / undertheseabeauty.blogspot.com

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:18 am

I haven’t tried that yet, but I’ve been seeing reviews of it circulate on bloglovin’. It sounds amazing! I’ll have to try out a sample!

• Reply JennySueMakeup (@JennySueMakeup) February 26, 2015 at 11:35 pm

i have never tried either of these but i have been dying to get my hands on the maybelline one – i will try a drugstore foundation any day bc it’s not a huge hit to my wallet. i like your reasons for trying and the common pale girl comment had me laughing out loud!!

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:09 am

I also don’t like spending that much money on foudnations- but I kept hearing so many good things about the Laura Mercier one. And after trying out a sample of it, I had to get it!

• Reply Jen February 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thanks for the reviews! I love a good side-by-side comparison. I really need to check out the Laura Mercier- it sounds right up my alley :)

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:08 am

It’s a great one! I think it’s a perfect year-round foundation!

• Reply Agata February 27, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Well, you know I have the Laura Mercier foundation and although I loved it at the beginning, I had to stop using it because it really accentuates my dry skin. I am hoping that I will be able to wear it more in the summer.

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hi Agata! I found that it also makes my skin look dry when I use a brush. However, if I apply the Laura Mercier one with a realllllly damp beauty blender, it goes on beautifully!

• Reply Agata March 3, 2015 at 11:20 am

I used it yesterday with a damp BB and it worked much better. It might be also because my skin is finally becoming less dry. But the coverage of this Laura Mercier foundation is sooo gorgeous!

• Reply Jenny March 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Isn’t it! It makes your skin look like velvet!

• Reply Feline Creatures February 27, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Great post Jenny! I love how you compared two products one high end and one drugstore that deliver similar results. I’ve never used either one before but I do like Maybelline lip sticks so I might give the fluid touch a go! :) xo~ Lena

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 10:08 am

Yeah! If you do, let me know what you think!

• Reply Charlee February 28, 2015 at 10:35 am

Fab post, I’ve been tempted after seeing the Maybelline Dream Wonder in my local Boots and Superdrug, sounds like such a lovely product – just hope that their palest shade isn’t too dark for me hehe.

Charlee XO | CharmedCharlee

• Reply Lena L February 28, 2015 at 10:59 am

Thanks for the great comparison reviews! :)
    For fluid type foundtion, I’ve only tried the L’Oreal Nude Magic one which is supposedly a dupe for GA Maestro. I heard the Maybelline is nearly identical to YSL one as well. Wish I could find a good color match from Maybelline, though.

• Reply Jenny February 28, 2015 at 11:06 am

Oh I know! The struggle =/ I wish they made more shades!

• Reply Gyudy February 28, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I haven’t tried any of these, but the Maybelline one intrigues me quite a bit! At the moment I’m deeply in love with my Lancome Miracle Cushion, Teint Miracle and my NARS All Day Luminous sample (I love, love, love it!), but I like those kind of fluid formulas too :) xx
    Gyudy’s Notes Of Beauty

• Reply Annabel (@Mascaramalteser) February 28, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Oh I do love Laura Mercier, they can do no wrong for me with the face products!

Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

• Reply Rachel March 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hey, you have a beautiful blog and I’m following on bloglovin! Great post and I love the pictures. I’ve never used Laura Mercier products before but that foundation sounds amazing and I’ll need to buy it myself! The Maybelline sounds great too. xx

Beyond The Velvet | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply beautylovesbooks March 1, 2015 at 9:47 am

I’ve heard great things for both of these, but haven’t tried them yet!

• Reply Love Meagan March 1, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I’ve been wanting to get my hands on the Laura Mercier one but I think I’ll try the Maybelline one first. Can’t beat the price. Thanks!

Rosyandmay.blogspot.com

• Reply morganleflay March 1, 2015 at 12:31 pm

12 shades for the Maybelline foundation in the US? Lucky you! Germany got… four shades. It’s a bit sad. :(

• Reply seersuckersass March 1, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Thank you for such a comparative review! I love seeing how products stack up :) I’m super pale also, so looks like the Maybelline wouldn’t be a good fit for me. Great post!

XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

• Reply afashionneverland March 1, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the tips! xx

I’d love it if you could also come check out my blog! Maybe we can follow each other? afashionneverland.blogspot.com

• Reply Connie March 1, 2015 at 5:37 pm

I absolutely love this comparison! Thanks for sharing. I haven’t tried the Laura Mercier foundation, but I have been loving the Maybelline one!

Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Bloglovin’

• Reply ElizaDeath Taylor March 1, 2015 at 6:13 pm

My skin is super dry right now too, stupid winter. I have no idea why I haven’t tried the new Maybelline Wonder Fluid foundation, their dream liquid mousse and matte mousse are my holy grail drugstore foundations. Thanks for reminding me about this foundation!

• Reply glambunctious March 1, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Awesome post, Jenny! I live for the Maybelline one. For the first time in a reallly long time, I’ve nearly finished a bottle of foundation! I didn’t think it would work on my oily skin, but it’s fantastic! It’s the only foundation I’ve ever used where I can get away without setting it with a powder and not look like an oily mess at the end of the day. I’ve been wanting to try a new foundation and I’m torn between this Laura Mercier one, the NARS All Day Luminous, or the Georgio Armani Maestro. I just got a sample of the NARS so we’ll see how that goes, lol!

• Reply Denise March 1, 2015 at 11:46 pm

Definitely appreciate the review on both of these! I used to use Laura Mercier foundation but it left me so greasy at the end of the day! That Maybelline one would be awesome, but 12 shades is unfortunate!

Denise

• Reply Angela March 2, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Hi Jenny! I’ve tried both – and the Laura Mercier one got returned to Sephora. It was so drying on me :( The Maybelline one has a tendency too as well, but if I moisturize/prime right before I apply, it seems ok. It’s possible I could have gotten the LM one to work but it costs so much and I didn’t want to risk getting stuck with it.

• Reply racheldinh March 2, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Great review, I have been curious about both!

• Reply Dee Kay March 2, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Thanks for such a great review, my skin dries out in the winter too, so I’ve been on the hunt for an affordable foundation that will work for my dry skin. I will definitely give Maybelline a try!

Dee

• Reply dee March 2, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hey Jen! I wish they had a match in the maybelline because while I loved the texture I just couldn’t find a match and its not a formula that you can buy even in a slightly wrong shade!! I actually liked the magic powder foundation thingy by Loreal too,..and I managed to find a match in that one!.

• Reply Nikki March 3, 2015 at 12:25 am

Ohhh great post! I may need to try the Maybelline one!

Nikki
    thefashionablewife.com

• Reply Alexandra | Glam O'Clock March 3, 2015 at 6:37 am

I haven’t tried any of these but I have been enjoying L’Oreal True Match foundation. It’s very fluid, lightweight and medium coverage.

Alexandra | Glam O’Clock

• Reply Jealsea March 5, 2015 at 2:46 am

WOW really amazing blog and very inspiring blog post! :) Keep up the great work, I’m a fan! ♥

xoxo Jealsea