Classic Makeup

Soft Smokey Eye // ft. Estée Lauder

January 7, 2015

Happy 2015, everyone! For my first makeup look of the New Year, I thought I’d do a soft smokey eye. Here I am using an Estée Lauder palette that I received as a Christmas gift, and I cannot for the life of me find this particular palette online. I am pretty sure it is a mash-up of Estée Lauder’s Pure Color Eye Shadow palettes. Someone, please correct me if I’m wrong! (I used the blushes from this palette as well! The shades are Alluring Rose and Sensuous Rose.)

2015-01-06-PRODUCTS-TN 2015-01-06-FULL-TN

1. Apply Wild Truffle (a matte taupe shade) in crease.

2. Pat Tempting Mocha (a shimmery mocha/cocoa shade)  all over lid and up to crease.

3. Use a precision brush to apply Chocolate Bliss (a matte medium brown shade) into outer corner.

4.  Darken up previous step with Lavish Mink (a matte dark brown shade), then blend everything together.

5. Use the same Lavish Mink shade to line the upper and lower lash line with an angled brush, then use your finger or a smudge brush to soften the lines.

6. Add Sugar Cube (a satin white shade) as the brow bone and inner corner highlight.

Add mascara, and you’re done!

I would recommend applying these eye shadows before the rest of your makeup application, or use shadow shields, as there is some fall out that I experienced!

What did you all end up doing over New Year’s? After shooting these photos I lounged around in my pajamas and played Kingdom Hearts all day (and the rest of that weekend). I’m not even ashamed!

PS: follow me along my MOTD Cosmetics Brand Ambassador journey on instagram: @motd_cosmetics &@mishmoshmakeup ♥

• Reply Linda Libra Loca January 7, 2015 at 11:21 am

I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up at half past eleven by my crying daughter who herself had been woken up by all the noise outside.
    Afterwards i spend one and a half hours trying to calm her down, then the noise eventually stopped and all three of us fell asleep.
    How did the dogs handle the noise?

LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 1:21 pm

There weren’t many fireworks going off in my neighborhood this past NYE, thank goodness! Usually my 2 small dogs don’t mind them, but my biggest dog get very scared and makes himself sick all over the house if there are fireworks going off!

• Reply Isabell January 7, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Wow, so gorgeous! I went out to a steakhouse with my boyfriend and another couple and after that we played taboo and played with the kitties, haha.

• Reply Isabell January 7, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Also, what lipstick is this? It’s the most gorgeous nude!

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 1:20 pm

This is the Maybelline Matte lippie- in the shade “Daringly Nude.” I love their matte shades!

• Reply Maria January 7, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Jenny, I’m always in awe of your make-up skills. You look so very beautiful! I love the slightly smoky drama this eye gives. And, thanks for the make-up shield tip. I always experience fall out with almost every shadow I apply. This would help me from having to re-do the rest of my make-up. I hope that your are doing fabulously! XOXO, Maria

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Thank you Maria! Lately I’ve started doing my eye shadows first, then doing the rest of my makeup. I haaate when eye shadows ruin a fresh face of makeup! The shadow shields are good, though, but I don’t have any at the mo’.

• Reply Becky Hines January 7, 2015 at 3:04 pm

This palette is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never really tried anything from Estee Lauder, but I think the shades are too beautiful not to look into it. Your makeup skills are amazing, you’re so pretty! I always tend to stick to neutrals when doing a smokey eye, but I really like the look of using shades like this! For New Years, I went to the theater and watched The Hobbit, and I must say I was so happy with the movie but sad that it had come to an end. Have you seen it yet? Hope all is well, xx!

Becky, x

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Hi Becky! I hadn’t used Estee Lauder either until I received this gift set. I am really happy with everything that came in it- including the skin care!
      I saw the last Hobbit movie and I was really disappointed with it. As a huge Tolkien fan, I thought Peter Jackson went over the top with this 3 part series… I wish he would have stuck with the book and not added in a made up love story (embarrassing garbage), and left out the crap from the appendices… it would’ve been much better, in my opinion. Lol.

• Reply The Beauty Vanity January 7, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Love it!!! Looking gorgeous and you make it look so easy! :)

My bf and I hosted a NYE party at his apt, which was tons of fun! Not so fun the day after tho… -_- haha

xx Alyson

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Haha! Worth it ;p

• Reply Jana January 7, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Wow I love your smoky eye! I have been meaning to buy Estee Lauder cosmetics for so long – definitely will do it this year! Happy 2015, Jenny!

Jana
    Life of Jana

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Happy 2015 to you! ^_^ I never think to try Estee Lauder either, but I’m definitely going to get some more of their products this year!

• Reply Ellie January 7, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Wow this looks gorgeous on you! The palette looks so pretty I never think to go to Estee Launder for eyeshadows I have seriously been missing out!

I just spent New Years having a meal with some friends and family :) x

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Sounds like a great New Years to me!

And yes, I never think to shop Estee Lauder for color cosmetics, but I am really pleased with this palette… I’ll definitely get more of their products in the future!

• Reply pamhetlinger January 7, 2015 at 5:09 pm

You are so talented! Love this tutorial. Thanks for sharing! xx Pam

• Reply WhatWouldVWearv January 7, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I LOVE your blog! Your make-up is flawless! Can’t wait to read more!
    xoxo, Vanessa

• Reply Agata January 7, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Such a beautiful tutorial, Jenny. Your makeup skills seriously make me jealous!

I spent New Year’s Eve at my friends house, playing Cards Against Humanity, drinking and talking. I got home around 3am. And, of course, I wore my glitter eyeliner.

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Agata, your skills are just as good, if not better than my own! And I’ve never played Cards Against Humanity, but it looks hilarious!

• Reply Agata January 8, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Thank you for saying that!

It is a fun game especially after you have had a little bit to drink :-)

• Reply nueyork January 7, 2015 at 7:41 pm

This is such a stunning eye look and the palette is beautiful!

nueyork.blogspot.com

• Reply Jenny January 7, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Thank you! It is a fun palette! It has some purples in there that I can’t wait to try!

• Reply Annabel (@Mascaramalteser) January 7, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I always forget Estee Lauder, but I remember they textures being just so creamy. Love the look you’ve created!

Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

Thanks! And I’m the same- I always forget about them! But you’re right, the shadows have a really nice texture!

• Reply Amy January 7, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Your makeup looks gorgeous, thank you for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

Perfect Imperfections

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:08 am

Thank you!

• Reply CLOSET RUN January 7, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Lovely makeup!!

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:07 am

Thank you!

• Reply guesswho January 7, 2015 at 11:55 pm

You look so elegant and this look is insanely classy and work-appropriate. Love it! 😀

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:07 am

Thank you so much!

• Reply Arianne January 8, 2015 at 12:14 am

I love that look! I love the way it looks effortless and gorgeous at the same time! Wish it was easy for me to do it as well..

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:07 am

Smokey eye was a hard one for me to learn how to do properly. I think the most important step for this look is the matte transition shade (the first shade applied). =]

• Reply Jacklyn January 8, 2015 at 12:34 am

Oh wow, this is such a gorgeous makeup look. I think I saw this palette at the mall today. Would you recommend buying this? Or is it not worth the price tag?

jacklynv.blogspot.com

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

I actually was very surprised by this palette! The color payoff is great, the texture is nice, and it lasted a full 8 hours without fading. ^_^

• Reply Heather Herod January 8, 2015 at 1:41 am

Great post! I have never tried Estee Lauder eye shadow, now I want to! Beautiful look! :)

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

They’re really good!

• Reply laura mitbrodt January 8, 2015 at 5:48 am

you are so good at the smoky eye, I want to try this

• Reply Jenny January 8, 2015 at 10:09 am

Thank you! I don’t wear smokey eye very often because I feel I am too pale, but this palette had colors that were perfect for my fair skin!

• Reply Shari January 8, 2015 at 2:09 pm

You have beautiful eyes, darling! And I love the eye look you’ve created :) God, you are gorgeous!

• Reply Jen January 8, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Wow, such a pretty look! Those tones of plummy neutrals are perfect on you :)

• Reply Jessica January 8, 2015 at 9:08 pm

I love this! you are so good with makeup, I wish I had your skills!

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

• Reply Amber Rhodes January 8, 2015 at 11:17 pm

A really pretty palette and makeup done beautifully as usual!
    Amber

• Reply Jackie January 8, 2015 at 11:56 pm

WOW – that is a really great palette and you did a great job. I can’t ever get a smokey eye to look that good!

Jackie
    Something About That

• Reply laura mitbrodt January 9, 2015 at 12:50 am

I am wearing Lord and Taylor blush. I bought this holiday gift set with 96 blush eyeshadows and 3 blush colours. It was a really good deal, i think 70% off

• Reply Francesca January 9, 2015 at 4:01 am

Looks amazing!! I’ve never tried estee lauder powder products, they seem great. Really pretty photos, as always :}

Batty4Beauty.com

• Reply Jessica January 9, 2015 at 8:03 am

what a beautiful palette! it’s a shame you can’t find it online anywhere, maybe it was limited edition just for christmas? it’s lovely that it comes with a couple of blush shades too though. you can never beat a good neutral palette.

jessica – littlehenrylee.com

• Reply Meghan Arnold January 9, 2015 at 10:38 am

Late to the game, but this looks lovely! I need to invest in better eyeshadows.

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm

You can get nice eye shadows from NYX honestly! I’ll have a post in a couple weeks using all NYX shadows. They have palettes for less than $15! The Estee Lauder one has better pigmentation, but I don’t necessarily think one needs to spend $50 to get a pretty makeup look.

• Reply Renata Burden (@SpeakinBeautyUK) January 9, 2015 at 3:01 pm

This palette is so pretty! Have not seen this palette in the UK. The makeup look you created is stunning, as usual. You look gorgeous! :) xx

Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Hi Renata! I’m not sure this was in the UK and I’m fairly positive this was limited edition, since I can’t find it anywhere :/

• Reply Valerie January 9, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Love the look you came up with! Very pretty! For New Years we just played video and board games all night!

• Reply Feline Creatures January 9, 2015 at 8:11 pm

What a great palette, I love the selection of colors and how they can easily transition from day to night! Great tutorial too! I need to master lining my lids with an angled brush the way you did with the Mink color 😉 xo~ Lena

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I love lining my lids with an angled brush and eye shadow- it’s so quick and easy once you get the hang of it!

• Reply Lindsay C. Davis January 10, 2015 at 12:33 am

Wow, this is so beautiful!! I love this tutorial Jenny! I’m definitely going to need to look into Estée Lauder eye shadow now. The colors you used together just complement each other so well!

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Thank you so much, Lindsay!! This palette made it easy to choose which colors go together. Sometimes other palettes I use have such a large variation of shades that I’m not completely sure which ones go together nicely, haha!

• Reply Chrisylla Octavia January 10, 2015 at 12:34 pm

This makeup looks so gorgeous on you and the colors of this palette are beautiful. I am tempted to get one for myself <3
    Love the tutorial !!

colorsinmybubble.blogspot.com

• Reply Sherry Wicks January 10, 2015 at 3:26 pm

This is such a beautiful smokey eye look and you look amazing! I’ll definitely be trying this out. I love Estee Lauder shadows — they’re so smooth and silky, perfect for blending. Great post!
    x, S

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Thank you! I agree, they are smooth!

• Reply Alina January 10, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I haven’t seen this palette in the UK, maybe it’s an US exclusive or maybe I just missed out on it. Love the shade selection available and the makeup look you created! You are stunning and this soft smokey eye looks amazing on you! I also sat at home with family on New Year’s Eve and had a great time eating, watching some TV and having a few glasses of bubbly x

Beauty with charm

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I’m pretty sure this was a limited edition, holiday only palette, since I haven’t been able to find it annnnnywhere online. But, their other palettes like this are just as nice! I expect these will last me for a very long time, as they are nicely pigmented, have long staying power, and you get quite a bit in each pan. I’m going to have to invest some more in Estee Lauder in the future!

• Reply jenn f January 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm

i have to hand it to Estee Lauder. one of their gwp eye palettes was the very first set of eyeshadows i had and i still use some of the shades today. the pigment is always so buttery and people don’t ever talk about them! glad you shone a spotlight and the look you created is great!

Jenn

• Reply Jenny January 11, 2015 at 5:21 pm

These eye shadows do have a buttery texture! I love them :)

• Reply ofbeautyand January 11, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Gorgeous palette x

Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

• Reply Gemma. (@Makeup_Magpie) January 11, 2015 at 10:12 pm

This is such a pretty makeup look, and how stunning is that palette xx

• Reply glambunctious January 11, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Such a gorgeous look, girl! I spent NYE relaxing and watching movies while drawing. It was pretty wonderful!

• Reply ElizaDeath Taylor January 14, 2015 at 12:57 am

How are Estee Lauder’s eyeshadows? I’ve only ever tried their foundation, but I’m intrigued about their other products as well. Are the eyeshadows comparable to Lorac’s? That is my all time favorite eyeshadow brand. I did absolutely nothing on New Year’s and I loved it haha.

ElizaDeath Taylor | Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

• Reply Jenny January 14, 2015 at 10:36 am

Hmmm. Lorac is my favorite eye shadow brand as well, and I don’t think they are as good as Lorac, but they come close. They are quite a bit more expensive than Lorac (Lorac has 16 eye shadows for what… $42? And the Estee Lauder palettes have 5 eye shadows for $50… this particular palette I used was special edition),so if I hadn’t received this as a gift for Christmas, I probably wouldn’t purchase them otherwise.

• Reply Avinash Dhameliya January 18, 2015 at 4:51 am

Thanks this for share ..!
    instantguide